The Division of Arts & Humanities is one of the four academic divisions of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences at Harvard University. Led by Dean Robin Kelsey, the Shirley Carter Burden Professor of Photography and Dean of Arts & Humanities, the Division is made up of fifteen departments, four interdisciplinary undergraduate degree programs, and multiple secondary fields. We also oversee a number of Centers and interdisciplinary initiatives. The faculty, staff, and students that make up the Division are dedicated to pursuing and promoting the wonders and values of aesthetic and humanistic learning. We strive to cultivate an inclusive community of curious, intrepid, compassionate, and socially engaged learners.
Recent A&H News
Two Arts & Humanities faculty members have been named Harvard College Professors: Deidre Lynch, Ernest Bernbaum Professor of Literature in the Department of English, and Sean Kelly, Teresa G. and Ferdinand F. Martignetti Professor of Philosophy.
Walter Channing Cabot Fellowships were awarded to six Arts & Humanities faculty members this year. The award is in recognition of their achievements and scholarly eminence in the fields of “literature, history or art, as such terms may be liberally interpreted.”
- David Damrosch, Ernest Bernbaum Professor of Literature in the Department of Comparative Literature, for Comparing the Literatures: Literary Studies in a Global Age
- Alice Jardine, Professor of Romance Languages & Literatures and of Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality, for At the Risk of Thinking: An Intellectual Biography of Julia Kristeva
- David Joselit, Professor of Art, Film, and Visual Studies, for Heritage and Debt: Art in Globalization
- Namwali Serpell, Professor of English, for Stranger Faces
- David Der-wei Wang, Edward C. Henderson Professor of Chinese Literature and of Comparative Literature, for Why Fiction Matters in Contemporary China
- James Wood, Professor of the Practice of Literary Criticism, for Serious Noticing: Selected Essays, 1997-2019
For more news read our quarterly A&H Newsletters!